Translate

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Father Knows Best

I think medicine is called medicine because it tastes bad but it good for you...If it tasted good, we would probably call it candy!


This morning when I went out to check on Joyful, I noticed that she still had not drunk any water.  That made it about 24 hours.  Now I had seen horses go that long after traveling, but they start to look gaunt and usually dunk right in when water is offered.  I filled a larger tub, instead of the buckets I had out over night.  She swished her muzzle around in it, but did not really drink.  I decided I better get some electrolytes in her.

When I offered her the tube she took one look then departed.  As I usually do with horses that are difficult to deworm, I cradled her head in my left arm and played the friendly game with the tube with my right.  She tossed her nose up and down adamantly.  After about 20 minutes I switched to applesauce to see if a "spoonful of sugar" could help the medicine go down.  That did not seem to help either...she felt like she was getting more and more dominant...not afraid.  Finally I switched my tactic to more left brain, driving and making the head shaking uncomfortable.  At first she kept escalating.  Finally I found the matching point, which was extremely firm.  Then we came back together.  I cradled her head and stroked the bridge of her nose with my cradle hand, then stroked her cheek with the tube in my hand.  I put the tip in her mouth, counted to 10 then removed it...all--finally--with no opposition!  Did it 3 times on each side. 

I asked the Lord what was the lesson here...there were two...

First, as his children, we often do not understand the trials we go through.  (We may never know the "why's" this side of heaven.)   When they come, we put up a big fuss, sometimes even hurting others in the process.  It is important to trust His heart.  He really does know what is best for us.  The quicker we stop fighting Him, the sooner we can experience His love and kindness... and the sooner we will become what we are destined to be.

Second, when traveling through life, we will run into all kinds of people, many of whom we want to help...Not everyone will respond the same way to our offer.  We must learn to adapt our approach to make our offer palatable.

Sometimes we are the horse...sometimes the human.   Which analogy resonants with you today?

BTW, afterward I turned her loose in the arena to see how much I had damaged the relationship. I certainly hadn't planned our first session at home to be so challenging! I walked off a few feet and sat on a half barrel. She followed and stood over me. After a bit, she walked off about twenty feet, then came back on the other side. Then she started yawning...and yawning. Then she started licking the barrel. I thought maybe she was finally thirsty. I got up to put the halter back on, but decided to test the relationship further. I walk off...she followed...all the way to the other end of the arena (about 150 feet) and through the door into the aisle...only there did I lose her.

Later in the afternoon as I was busy around the barn, she kept following me and nickering...guess I did the right things for her.

Often after a trial, I find myself doing the same with the Lord...following closer, basking in his love and kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment