Translate

Tuesday, January 12, 2016

One Word for 2016...

Stre-e-e-e-tch!
When it comes to the end of one year and the beginning of another, along with many other people, I get reflective and also speculative.  What were the highlights of the passed year and what does the new year hold.  This year is no exception and is interesting in light of an exercise that I did last year called "One Word."  (for more information go to http://getoneword.com/)  In short, you seek God's input for one word to guide you for the year.  Last year
when I did this, I felt like I didn't get a real clear word and wrote several down in my journal:  Simplify--Harvest--Blessings--Warfare--Jesus--Pant--Bold--Snow.  Now looking back on the year I think they all had a place except maybe "snow."   I would rearrange them in this order:
Pant--Jesus--Blessings--Bold--Warfare--Harvest--Simplify.  I think I went through several cycles of these over the year, but I think my real word was so obvious that I didn't think it was it and kept looking for another.  My real word was JOY.  This was a guiding thought for 2014 so I thought I needed a new word for 2015....but it seemed like every time I turned around, in 2015,  I was telling the "JoyFull Story"  (See "The Rest of the Story" in this blog).  It still brings tears to my eyes nearly every time I tell it.  It is sooooo wonderful to realize that God knows us, cares for us and wants the best for us, even when sometimes we don't know what that is.

But on to 2016.  I started praying and seeking God about my "One Word" for the year.  I did the exercises in the One Word devotional on my YouVersion app and in the Action Plan download from the site listed above.  When it came to me I got soooooo excited!  Here are some of the responses I wrote in my journal:

"I think I have discovered my "One Word"...STRETCH!...It can be a verb, a noun, or an adjective, but for my purposes mostly its a verb.  It is a reminder to STRETCH toward God,
STRETCH my faith,
STRETCH my prayer life and Bible study.
STRETCH physically...my body..
STRETCH my physical limits.
STRETCH mentally by learning new things: guitar, cooking (gluten free) and Daniel Plan, horsemanship.  I am ready to become the best me I can be for the Kingdom.
I suspect there will be an emotional STRETCH." 

"As I looked up the word 'stretch' in The Message Bible (87 occurrences!) I found another frequent use of the word...to STRETCH boundaries (of land)...All stretches are about increasing capacity...very cool!
"Also 'stretched out' like on a bed, STRETCH means 'rest!'"

It is nice to know that just because God is going to provide opportunities to STRETCH doesn't necessarily mean it will be hard work...In fact, since it is in tandem with Jesus...it has to be easy...Matthew 11:29-30.

I made myself some little posters and other reminders to keep the word in front of me often.  I can hardly wait to see what the year will bring.

I dare you to do the exercises yourself ...and then share your word with me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment