Translate

Thursday, September 8, 2016

What is a Dream Worth?

"Take delight in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart."  Psalm 37:4  NIV

"He fulfills the desires of those who fear him..." Psalm 145:19 NIV

 Did you know that God actually put dreams and desires in your heart!


Since God has a plan for each of us and that plan is unique to each of us, he also gave us strengths and desires to lead us toward that destiny.  It seems to me, both from talking to other people and from my own experience, that these desires (you might call them dreams or goals) more often than not get thwarted in us at a very young age...usually before the age of twelve.

Think back right now.  What were your dreams and desires when you were twelve or under?

What has happened to those dreams and desires?  Do you still have the passion for them...Or have those dreams been killed, stolen, or destroyed.  
The devil comes to kill, steal, and destroy, but Jesus comes that we might have life....abundantly!  (John 10:10)
Jesus also gives us the choice...to choose life or death...scriptures even encourage us to make the good choice and CHOOSE LIFE!  (Deuteronomy 30:19)

Choosing life...to live our dreams is actually hard!  It necessitates letting go of things that are currently taking the time, energy and resources that are needed to live our dreams.  Often those things are not necessarily bad in and of themselves, but there is only so much time and resources available.  If you squander those on unproductive activities, there will not be anything left to fulfill your dreams.   

I recently offered to help fulfill a long time stated desire/dream of my mother's.  To my surprise, she refused because she did not want to give up "being comfortable" for a few days...even though she had had this desire for as long as I can remember.

It really made me take new stock of myself.  Like many people my age, I have a Bucket List...things I want to see, experience or accomplish before I kick the bucket.  Many of these things require that I stay in good physical condition, yet I find my physical condition deteriorating because I am taking the easy route of putting off exercise while we travel.  While I lament the rising number on the bathroom scale, I still tend to eat too much sugar.  My new Yoga workout program sits unopened in the package it came in.  I do not play with or ride my horses very often.  Why?  Because in order to make a change...I have to make a change!  I have to give up the comfort of sitting around and putting off exercise and do the exercise or get active with my horses.  I keep thinking...oh, when we get settled for the winter in AZ, then I'll get busy on the exercise, and writing the book, and advancing the horses.  Perhaps I really will, but I need a more aggressive action plan so that I don't start so far below zero!

I am working on it.

God wants to give us the desires of our heart, but we also have a role to play in that.  "...the desires of the diligent are fully satisfied."  Proverbs 13:4   NIV

What is your dream?   What is your action plan!?  What will it cost you?  Are you willing to pay?

I look forward to hearing from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment